Thanks a lot. That indeed works. The speedup is not particularly large, and
varies quite a bit, from 1.5 to 3 times speedup. But it *is* working, and
code_llvm reports a vector block.

Though performance isn't all that impressive, at least I know there is
nothing fundamentally stopping the SIMD optimizations from happening.