I posted as an issue over on PyPlot.  I got a reply about Python but not
about the problem.

Please point out how I have been negative.  I've tried to provide
information and one other user confirms that he has also seen the problem.
 I thought I was being pretty clear to just ask for clues or pointers to
other things I can try or look at it.