I have a simple function which takes a directory string and returns a list
of files and directories which fit some other parameters. My problem is
that I can't find a function definition which accepts both ASCIIString and
UTF8String types. Previous to Julia 0.4 I just used String and everything
worked well but the new AbstractString does not work. What can I do?

subtypes(AbstractString)

   - Base.SubstitutionString{T<:AbstractString}
   - *DirectIndexString*
   - LaTeXStrings.LaTeXString
   - RepString
   - RevString{T<:AbstractString}
   - RopeString
   - SubString{T<:AbstractString}
   - UTF16String
   - *UTF8String*

subtypes(DirectIndexString)

   - *ASCIIString*
   - UTF32String

I probably would have never run into this problem if
joinpath(ASCIIString,ASCIIString) didn't return UTF8String.

Julia Version 0.4.1
Commit cbe1bee (2015-11-08 10:33 UTC)
Platform Info:
  System: Linux (x86_64-linux-gnu)
  CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  BLAS: libopenblas (NO_LAPACK NO_LAPACKE DYNAMIC_ARCH NO_AFFINITY Haswell)
  LAPACK: liblapack.so.3
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-3.3