The amount of glue I needed to write was minimal, considering that I didn't
want to have to decide how much of the time a routine would devote to
listening on a port, nor how many messages might be received between calls,
nor how to get a list of these into julia.

Trying to tell julia how to take someone else's python 'Port' and 'Message'
objects apart in julia, without knowing what julia types to expect from
that was confusing. The notation for calling those objects' python methods
directly from julia had me overwhelmed. If I turned those methods into
python functions, PyCall translated them easily.

If there was a simpler path through the notation, I wasn't getting it...
but I can't say for sure there wasn't.

?