I am writing a package with example code for a book, and I anticipate code
enhancements and code changes in future editions of this book.  At the same
time, I want to make sure that future readers of older editions can run the
code with then current Julia versions.  My current solution is as follows:
For each edition I create a branch in my github repository and then update
each branch when newer 0.x versions of Julia come out.  The master branch
would always reflect the most recent edition of the book. The reader is
asked to clone the repository and then check out the branch and appropriate
commit for her/his combination of book edition and Julia version. I fear
that this approach may be a bit cumbersome for my target group.

In this context I have the following questions:

   1. Would this approach require the users to install git separately or
   could one somehow use the git bundled with the Julia binaries?
   2. Are there better alternatives using the package manager?  I was able
   to publish my package and I know that one could pin a version in the master
   branch. But I do not know how to provide different published branches and
   versions on on these branches branches to which the user could pin the
   package.
   3. Is there anything else I have overlooked to solve my problem?

Regards, Marcus