> When I do not have Conda installed but install PyCall in Julia does Pkg.add("PyCall") still installs its own small PYthon distribution?

As far as I know, if there is no PYTHON environnement variable and no `python` in path, then the automatic MiniConda Python installation is used.

> Small? Mine (that I didn't ask for) has 320 Mb.

Yes, it is small for a scientific Python distribution. The fulll Anaconda installer is 1.2G. The standard Python installation is 78M, which is smaller, and you can install it first if you want to use it instead of Conda installation. But the standard Python do not have numpy/scipy/... and they are a pain to install on Windows.

--
Luthaf