1) I'd strongly recommend watching the intro video by @dpsanders from
JuliaCon 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ1y5NUD_RI&index=3&list=PLP8iPy9hna6Sdx4soiGrSefrmOPdUWixM
2) If you have a lot of experience in some other language, maybe read first
the http://docs.julialang.org/en/latest/manual/noteworthy-differences/
section for Matlab, R, Python, or C/C++
3) Start reading the manual: http://docs.julialang.org/en/latest/
4) Join https://gitter.im/JuliaLang/julia, there are a number of people
there willing to help out, no matter the level of the questions
5) Continue watching other videos from the 2 JuliaCons, there is a huge
wealth of great information in them (if you possibly can, arrange to come
to JuliaCon 2016, at MIT this summer)
6) Also look here and on GitHub PRs/issues to start following discussions
about the fields (fintech?) that interest you.
7) Also look to see if your question has been asked and possibly answered
on StackOverflow
   (I've seen lots of good answers there, even members of the core Julia
team such as Stefan Karpinski take the time to answer questions on
StackOverflow, which has been great)

Finally, just enjoy yourself, play around with the REPL, but be careful,
the Julia language is very addictive, and can be prejudicial to the quick
finishing of a PhD thesis, from what I've seen over the last year!

-Scott