On 10 March 2016 at 18:23, Tom Breloff <t...@breloff.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:08 PM, j verzani <jverz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As someone who has watched his calculus students struggle with what
>> should be a trivial task -- the installation of `Plots` on `juliabox`, I've
>> wished it were part of base.
>>

> While in my (very biased) opinion I think Plots should be the first
> package new users install, I don't think it belongs in base.  (please don't
> make me rebuild julia to hack on Plots ;)

I think Plots could be part of the "standard library" (to borrow a term
from Python). So it would not be in Base, but it could be pre-installed.
Plotting is one of the most common things that scientists and engineers do.
Maybe not right now, but when Plots is more mature.

Speaking of which, I'm also having trouble with PlotlyJS.

julia> plotlyjs()
Plots.PlotlyJSPackage()

julia> plot(Plots.fakedata(50,5),w=3)
[Plots.jl] Initializing backend: plotlyjs
INFO: Precompiling module Blink...
INFO: Recompiling stale cache file /home/daniel/.julia/lib/v0.4/Nettle.ji
for module Nettle.
ERROR: Cannot find Electron. Try `AtomShell.install()`.
 in electron at /home/daniel/.julia/v0.4/Blink/src/AtomShell/process.jl:49

For some reason, PlotlyJS seems to think that I am running it from Atom. :-(