Hello Juan,

I have some experience with Julia's BigNums and have experimented with
faster fixed precision (128 bits) floating point type implementations (and
don't know about Julia's Matrix work, and am not involved with GSoC).  For
a small first place, I suggest something that will increase your depth with
BigFloats and as a nice addition may provide some generally useful
intermediation functions.  Whatever else you may do in software that
focuses on floating point precision and accuracy extension, you are likely
to lean on BigFloats in development and testing of floating point math --
even when it does not use BigFloats directly.  You might experiment with
BigFloat interconversion with Float64 and Float32 values (back and forth
and forth and back) to notice situations where things seem good at first
glance, until some values that ought be the same are not.
There are different ways to go to/from BigFloats and Float64s, it is not
exciting -- and can be exasperating.  Let me know if that is the direction
you want to take:  it involves no matrix work, and offers no great feats of
algorithmic speed.  You might get a broader sense of Julia by starting with
small but less narrowly focused task.