To solve the PyPlot backend problem, I made a PR (Add support for the GR
backend #207 <https://github.com/stevengj/PyPlot.jl/pull/207>) . This patch
solved the problem for me.

To fix the savefig() problem, please checkout the GR.jl master ( Pkg.
checkout("GR")) and/or rebuild the package.
There was a configuration error on my build system (for OS X) which I
didn't realize. Sorry!

Regards,
Josef