> It seems to work for me.  What were you trying to set JULIA_EDITOR
> to when you were trying emacs?  Were you trying to use console emacs
> with emacs -nw?

> On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 7:46:21 AM UTC-5, Josef Sachs wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way that I can use edit() to start emacs in the
>> foreground with support for line number?
>>
>> As a kludge, I am currently setting JULIA_EDITOR=mvim, and I have a
>> mvim in my PATH that is a symbolic link to emacs.

My EDITOR is set to emacs.  I am connected to an Ubuntu system via ssh,
with no X Window System.  When I unset JULIA_EDITOR and run julia,

julia> edit("Makefile")
emacs: standard input is not a tty

Maybe that's what you mean by "console emacs"?

Are you running the X Window System?  If so, then running emacs in the
background would work.