So translating header files for bindings is considered a derived work also?
And also the GNU guys and the porting of unix sofware to linux, that can't
be considered derived work. I guess it comes down to the definition of the
word "expressive" like you say, but programming languages are so precise, I
wouldn't have thought there is much room for expressiveness.