On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 10:24:53 AM UTC-4, Mosè Giordano wrote:

> This package is licensed under Apache License 2.0 or GNU Lesser General
> Public License version 3 or any later version, as well as under a
> "customary scientific license", which implies that if this code was
> important in the scientific process or for the results of your scientific
> work, you are asked for the appropriate citation of the paper Skowron &
> Gould 2012 (http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.1034).

It's a really bad idea to imply that citation is a legal requirement in the
license.   Such a requirement makes your code non free/open-source software.

The best approach is to simply make a polite request, but be explicit that
it is not a legal requirement.   In practice, people will happily comply
with such a request in my experience.  e.g. this is what we say for FFTW:

        In addition, we kindly ask you to acknowledge FFTW and its authors
in any program or publication in which you use FFTW. (You are not *required* to
do so; it is up to your common sense to decide whether you want to comply
with this request or not.) For general publications, we suggest
referencing: Matteo Frigo and Steven G. Johnson, “The design and
implementation of FFTW3,” *Proc. IEEE* *93* (2), 216–231 (2005).