On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Chris Rackauckas <rackd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see mentions like this one every once in awhile:
>
> "D language is a special case, as it has GC, but it's also optional (as with
> Julia)"
>
> Is GC optional?

No, Not for julia objects.

> I thought the only way to discard something from memory was
> to set it to zero and call garbage control (which then runs the whole
> garbage control). Is there a more targeted way to delete things?

No, Not for julia objects.

> If it's not
> already available, it seems like it would be useful for code focusing
> performance as an option.

This will actually **not** improve performance most of the time and
can actually hurt performance a lot.
The only case I can think of that can have better performance is
manually managing an object pool.
This might improve latency or memory usage. All of the advantage can
be obtained by improving the GC itself, which is the preferred way.
This feature will also be extremely unsafe and can break many
assumptions made in the runtime.