I recommend testing your stuff with Plots... The overhead should be
constant among backends, so you can use the same code to benchmark PyPlot,
GR and Plotly/PlotlyJS. See the "backends" page of the Plots docs for more
info. I recommend checking out master as there's been some good
fixes/improvements since my last tag (I'll try to tag again today)

Also I'm hoping that there can be some hacking on the GLVisualize backend
during JuliaCon!