I am writing a simulation function that loops over simulating a data set
and fitting multiple statistical models to the data.  The exact form of the
output will depend on which characteristics of the fitted models I wish to
preserve.  My inclination is to pass a callback function to take the set of
models after each iteration and extract and save the characteristics of
interest.

However, I have a vague recollection that passing a function as an argument
to another function was discouraged.  I believe it made type inference
awkward.  Was that ever the case and, if so, is still the case?