I will admit my understanding of type stability in a jit compiler is
shakey, but I don't see 0.5//2 as a type instability, rather it is a method
error (the issues is a float does not convert to an int, but having a int
become a float is a fair promotion, so I can't see why requiring y0 to be a
float is at all similar -- it is very Julian to promote it). I understand
type instability to mean that the output of function is not uniquely
determined by its inputs. In this sense there is no type instability. The
issue as I understand it is that we do eltype(y0) for the output type, when
maybe it makes more sense to do eltype(f(y0)) which would then be type
stable, since f is. This would even work if you did y0 = 3f0, etc.

Again I could be missing something simple, but requiring the inputs
to agree with the output of the input function feels like something far
beyond any kind of Julia difference from other languages, and more a
feature of it being a dynamic language and not purely static. Suggesting
users, especially new users, to be worry about these situations doesn't
jive with my understanding of Julia. It feels like premature optimization
to me.