I'm far from expert on those questions, but would the "invoke" function work?
I think it's considered to be a tool of the last resort, but seems to
be the situation you are in!

invoke(f, (types...), args...)

  Invoke a method for the given generic function matching the
specified types (as a tuple), on the specified arguments. The
arguments must be compatible with
  the specified types. This allows invoking a method other than the
most specific matching method, which is useful when the behavior of a
more general
  definition is explicitly needed (often as part of the implementation
of a more specific method of the same function).