Thanks for your answer. Some more questions:
- is a gc frame just a pointer?
- if not, which information does it hold? In which file is the gc frame
type/
  structure defined?
- is there exactly one gc frame for each local variable?
- why is it called "frame"? The term implies, that it is around something.
  Is this the case?