Coincidentally we had a failure in the same test on Linux today (after
running it hundreds of times before without issue).

My colleague had the bright idea of running that test many times so that we
could reliably reproduce the error on Linux. We then found the bug, which
was in fact a bug in our code (not properly initialising a struct being
passed to C).

This is almost certainly what was causing the issue on Windows. So I think
the problem is likely solved.

Bill.