Is there a reason, why you want to compile Julia yourself?
It might be easier to use a precompiled version, that you can download from
http://julialang.org/downloads/ .

ln -s creates a symbolic link to the executable, such that is in the search
path. This is the way to go
on Linux, but I don't know if it works with mingw on Windows, that you are
using.

On Linux, you can check with
which julia
in which directory the julia executable is found. Perhaps you have two
versions on your computer
and you execute the old version because it is in the search path before
your new version?