On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Andreas Lobinger <lobing...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello colleague,
>
> On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 7:25:38 PM UTC+2, Yichao Yu wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Andreas Lobinger <lobi...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello colleagues,
>>>
>>> i'm trying to find out, why this
>>>
>> fails miserably. I guess, but cannot track it down right now: There is
>>> something wrong in memory management of Cairo.jl that only shows up for
>>> objects that could have been freed long ago and julia and libcairo have
>>> different concepts of invalidation.
>>>
>>> Any blog/receipe/issue that deals with GC debugging?
>>>

>> It's not too different from debugging memory issue in any other program.
>> It usually helps (a lot) to reproduce under rr[1]
>>

> Many thanks for pointing to this. I was aware it exists but wasn't aware
> of their progress.
>

>> Other than that, it strongly depend on the kind of error and I've seen it
>> happens due to almost all parts of the runtime and it's really hard to
>> summarize.
>>

> What do you mean with "happens due to almost all parts of the runtime" ?

The general procedure is basically catch the failure and try to figure out
why it got into this states. This means that you generally need to trace
back where certain value is generated which also usually means that you
need to trace back through a few layers of code and they might be scattered
all over the place.