Thanks for the suggestion about valgrind.

Can someone please let me first understand the expected behaviour for
memory usage.

Let's say when I first starts Julia REPL it takes 5% of RAM (according to
top).  Then I include "myfile.jl" and run myfunction().  During the
execution of myfunction(), memory allocation of Julia reaches 40% of RAM
(again according to top).  Say running myfunction() involves no allocation
of global objects - all object used are local.  Then when myfunction()
finished and I am at the REPL prompt, should top show the memory usage of
Julia drops down to the previous level (5% of RAM)?  My current observation
is that it doesn't.  Is this the expected behaviour?