I'm in a similar situation, and any public package that I work on I have to
manually point at my fork and add the original repo as an upstream.  I
haven't had much luck with any of the Pkg commands for things like this.

I got very excited since I currently only can do ~10% of what I need
through GitHub Desktop, and have to do the rest through the command line.
 Unfortunately it looks like GitKracken doesn't have proxy support yet.