On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 10:23:00 AM UTC, Femto Trader wrote:

> Hello,
>
> my main development environment is under Mac OS X
> but I'm looking for a Linux distribution (that I will run under VirtualBox)
> that have Julia 0.5.0 support (out of the box)
>
> Even Debian Sid is 0.4.7 (October 8th, 2016)
> https://packages.debian.org/fr/sid/julia
>
> So what Linux distribution should I use to simply test my packages with
> Julia >=0.5.0 ?

[I use Ubuntu 16.04, the latest officially supported one, and an LTS one
(16.10 should be around the corner, but not LTS).]

I believe the Julia binary executables at the download page are recommended
and the only one they want officially supported.

That said, there are Ubuntu PPAs:

https://launchpad.net/~staticfloat/+archive/ubuntu/juliareleases

[I used this, it's really simple to install]

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=Julia

It was great to see Ubuntu binaries maintained, and I see that julia 0.5
was actually supported with a PPA (I had previously used a PPA with 0.4.x),
so I installed that.

I *think* that there is really no downside to use the PPA vs. the official
binaries. They might get updated, let's say the maintainer doesn't (not
like they are getting paied) then you no worse of than with the official
download that you would always have to manually download a new minor or
major version.

I actually have an update waiting..:

Changes for julia versions:
Installed version: 0.5.0-xenial1
Available version: 0.5.0-xenial5

Not sure what it entails.

The download page will have 0.5.1 before the PPA. In my case I'm not
worried.. and I guess the PPA will follow soon.