Looking back at this I agree I misunderstood Kristoffer, however I don't
think that this is the problem.
For context, my custom type is defined as follows:

type Parjm
    x::Array{Float64,1}
    y::Array{Float64,1}
end

So the subelements of, say, temp[1,:A] are always arrays of Float64. If
instead the Parjm type had been defined as

type Parjm
    x::Array{Any,1}
    y::Array{Any,1}
end

I would think it could cause the problem you and Kristoffer have pointed to.