I find it likely that this supports my case (there could be other reasons..
but Java's FFI is built on JNI, and ultimately on ccall).

http://juliainterop.github.io/JavaCall.jl/
"Multidimensional arrays, either as arguments or return values are not
supported. Since Java uses Array-of-Arrays, unlike Julia's true
multidimensional arrays, supporting them is non-trivial, though certainly
feasible."

Your case is array (one allocation) of strings (many allocation), just as
how Java allocates "2D" arrays (only really supporting 1D). Unlike 2D (or
3D etc.) of arrays, allocated in Julia and C/C++ (and some other languages,
Fortran, Haskell(?)) as one allocation, e.g. true multidimensional arrays.
Julia does them however better than C for other reasons.