Sorry I haven't got a Julia implementation but this report
<http://crc.stanford.edu/crc_papers/CRC-TR-04-03.pdf>, Primitive Polynomial
Generation Algorithms Implementation and Performance Analysis by Nirmal R
Saxena and Edward J McCluskey, gives efficient algorithms that shouldn't be
too hard to implement. The IntModN.jl
<https://github.com/andrewcooke/IntModN.jl> package might be useful to you
too, but I haven't used it myself.

[BTW, if you're interested in the effects of nonlinearity on the MLS
identification procedure (which is the main topic of the Vanderkooy paper
you cite) you might want to read my comment on it in JAES 43(1-2) 48.]