Hi guys,

I am really sorry for the spam. I just want to say that I am cautiously
optimistic that the problem has been solved. I started Python to see the
error from within Python, and this is what I saw:

>>> import matplotlib.pyplot as p
... blah blah blah...
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
u'/usr/share/fonts/opentype/FrutigerLTStd/FrutigerLTStd-Light.otf'

So the IO error was referring to a font file!!! I didn't see this in the
error output in Julia and I foolishly thought that it was complaining about
one of the .py files. So I checked the permissions of the Frutiger font
files and they were indeed wrong. I fixed the permissions and now PyPlot
seems to work as before. I don't know why the permissions were wrong, but I
guess it no longer matters.

Here is an idea for the future: Is it possible to get PyCall to print the
rest of Python's error message so that dummies like me aren't led astray...
It's weird that most of the error was printed but the path to the file was
not.

Cheers,
Daniel.