Hi Geoff,

 LayerPrinter2 allows you to specify the number of pixels.  It really only
lets you make the (virtual) window larger before using the Save Image As
feature.  It does reset the view bounds to the new larger area, and since
you only specify a single number for the pixel extent, it applies that to
the larger dimension and scales the other appropriately.  So effectively,
you now have a new view panel with the same height to width ratio, but with
a larger pixel extent.

 Since I haven't studied the Java Printing interfaces, I don't have any
advice on how to get the printer to put the LayerPrinter2 image into the
appropriate format so that it scales correctly.  Personally, I would be
happy if it just prints correctly and the graphic scale is correct.  The
line size and text size is not important to me as long as the text remains
readable, and the lines don't disappear.

 About WMS, I don't use it much and can't seem so get any older links to
work right now.  However, with LayerPrinter2 it should render correctly.

regards,
Larry