Larry,

Doesn't installing a separate version of the JVM sort of defeat the purpose
of Java? Doesn't it also greatly increase the size of program downloads?

I wonder if there are alternatives to ensuring compatability with a specific
version or set of versions of the JVM on each operating system.

The Sunburned Surveyor