I would prefer the following:

                  1 month    n-month       (n+1)-month
--\---- devel-----\----...---\--------------\-----....----\-->
   \               \          \              \             \
    release 1.2 --------....---\              \             \
                                \              \             \
                                 release 1.3-------------------->

Have one current stable and one devel branch. No support
for older versions. You can do this if you have enough man
power. Which we don't have at the moment.
I would vote for short merging intervals (1 month or so).
Such a merge brings the current release to a new second digit
after the stable version number (1.2 -> 1.2.1). If we think
its time for new major release we can increment the first
after dot (1.2 -> 1.3). Having the devel and the stable
branch coupled so tightly helps us to fix urgent bugs in time
and develop new features. But the development/release model
should not be set in stone. It depends on the man power
(which hopefully will increase). All it have to be is
that has to be transparent to the users.

- Sascha