Yup. GeoTools is a nightmare to use and understand. It makes me wonder
how they ever built something as functional as UDig on top of it.

However, the alternative was to write a new Shapefile parser from
scratch, and that seemed like an awful lot of work. I have no doubt I
could do it, but it is probably a notch above my current skill level
as a hobby programmer. I thought it would be best to instead work with
the GeoTools programmers to get something usable from their code.

I wonder if Deegree or Kosmo is using a streaming Shapefile parser?

The Sunburned Surveyor