FWIW:

I don't think that there will be a strong need going forward to keep the
OJ codebase and the Vivid codebase rigorously separate.  The momentum is
definitely with OJ now, and I wouldn't expect to see very much if any
further independent development to the Vivid codebase.  So if
maintaining this separation is painful, it may not be worth the pain.

It would still be worth having a well-defined strategy for what can
depend on what.  I would suggest a further partition within OJ itself:

core non-UI components
- core Workbench components
-- plugins

I would even suggest that some plugins should be split between Workbench
and non-UI components, to allow easier reuse of the non-UI code.  This
also encourages a MVC coding style, which often pays off in the end.

Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect
Refractions Research, Inc.
(250) 383-3022