The way I am currently using ByteBuffer, I can deal
with any InputStream or OutputStream and switch
endianess by changing two static final variables
(BYTE_ORDER and CHAR_SET). Using a byte array to read
to and write from the stream, I just do a
ByteBuffer.wrap(byteArray).order(BYTE_ORDER) to make
things ordered the way I want. I’ve tested this with
both Big and Little Endian ordering and seems to work
just fine.

--Christopher