christopher,

-stay at the resolution the data was gathered
-option to interpolate.

<<inline: ericsSignature.png>>

Eric Jarvies

On Jul 26, 2008, at 5:24:30:PM, Christopher wrote:

I have the contour line extraction plugin working. See attached .jpg for an example of contours created at 100m intervals over the Matterhorn tin. There is still a bit of cleaning up I need to do in order to not have any breaks in the contours. I should have that done and the code uploaded to the svn sometime today.

Now the question:

Josef Bezdek is doing a similar project for uDig’s SoC. In order to create a smoother contour, he is dividing up each TIN facet into a bunch of coplanar smaller triangles then running the contouring routine over those smaller triangles. For a visual example, see:
http://geomatika.ic.cz/GSoC/Corel/TIN_linear_Con.png
http://geomatika.ic.cz/GSoC/Corel/TIN_Bezier_10.png
http://geomatika.ic.cz/GSoC/Corel/Contour_10.png

I, on the other hand, have been avoiding any interpolation of the TIN data to create a denser network. The reason being that we are working with real-world data that is collected at a certain resolution and any computational smoothing might or might not match the real world. I figured it would be important to GIS users that all interaction with data would be at the resolution it was collected. An analogy would be that in pure math, you can have as many decimal digits as you want, but in physics and chemistry, you can only have as many digits as you collected during the data gathering phase. Digits past the significant digits are dropped because including them implies that the answer is more accurate than it really is.

So what do the OpenJUMP GIS users want? Should I allow for interpolation or should I stay at the resolution that the data was gathered?

--Christopher

< screenshot26july2008 .jpg > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/_______________________________________________