Hi Kevin (and others for advice)

Sorry for the annoyance, I realize that the ToolTipText content is
defined in the LayerNameRenderer class, and that I overrode the previous
behaviour, adding a method directly in the TreeLayerNamePanel.
I added the number of objects in the tooltip because I found it useful
to have a quick access to this information, but we have also this
information in the layer property (right click), so that it is not
absolutely necessary to have it in the tooltip

By the way, I can move my code into LayerNameRenderer and add the number
(#objects) of objects only if there is no description, or in both cases,
or never :

* layer name (never or only when there is no description = previous
behaviour)
* layer name  [#objects] (only if there is no description or in both
cases = actual behaviour)
* layer name: description (never or only if there is no description =
overriden behaviour)
* layer name: description [#objects] (in both cases = possible bbehaviour)

Just let me know your thought about your preferences

Michaël