Thanks for all of the responses. I'll get with Christopher on
implementing the external renderer.

Larry asked some good questions. Let me try to answer them.

Larry wrote: "The renderer is the lest of your problem with adding the
capability to do labels without a backing feature.  How are you
planning to persist the labels?"

I planned on persisting them as a normal Feature object, which means
they could be stored in a Shapefile, or maybe a delimited text file.
I'll likley wrap these features in a Layerable implementation.

Larry wrote: "How will this integrate with the Project (Task)?  How
will you keep this from making prior .jmp files incompatible?"

I don't think any modifications to the project file will be needed at
this point. All of the attributes for locating and styling the text
can be stored in the feature attributes (I think).

Larry wrote: "Why is it necessary to even do labels that don't have
features?  What is their use case?

The use cases are centered more on cartographic map production than
traditional spatial analysis. For example: I want to be able to import
notes from the CAD drawings my company produces when I import a DXF.

Larry wrote: "In SkyJUMP I added a stand alone Text tool, but it
basically uses a new style with standard Features."

I want to do something similar. I'll take a look at the stand alone
text tool in SkyJUMP. It would probably make a good starting point.

Thanks for all of the help.

SS