It's been a while since I posted that thread, and I'm afraid I don't
remember all of the details that made me ask the questions. I know I
definitely had concerns about adding layers inside a thread. It still
seems to me that this would trigger painting of the LayerViewPanel.
When this repainting is triggered, does it occur on the AWT Event
Dispatch Thread, or withing the thread that added the layer? If the
latter is true, we could run into threading problems.

I never did get a good solution to my problem. I think I ended up not
displaying a progress bar. I would like to revisit the issue at some
point.

Benjamin: Did you find a solution for your particular case? If not, I
would be interested in discussing the situation with you so I could
explore some solutions.

The Sunburned Surveyor