Stefan, Peppe and all,

I've always looked at the Sextante extension with interest, considering the vast amount of tools it includes. But to be honest, I haven't had the chance to study it thoroughly.

I see that OpenJUMP can already open "Sextante Raster Images", including TIFF images. I think though we should extend image support to other formats, such as ASCII GRID. I'm not an experienced programmer or designer either, but what I'd really like to achieve is a product where the raster reading capability is an independent sub-system, where support for different formats can be added. Regardless from the input format, every raster would be translated into a vector grid (as you suggested), and this grid would be used by every tool working on the raster itself. Do you think this could be accomplished building upon Sextante? All the plug-ins we've written could be easily tuned to accept vector grids as inputs in place of the Floating Point grids they need now. And one more question: if Sextante is "ported" to OpenJUMP, what happens when new versions of Sextante are released? Would it be needed to do the porting again?

With regards to raster symbology, we've already got some code to handle ramps and coloring by intervals.

About internationalization, thank you Peppe for your offer for help. As soon as I have some time to dedicate to it I'll make sure you get some work to do! ;)

Alberto