It occurred to me recently that it might be useful to have a spatial
viewer acting as an RMI service for out-of-process or remote clients.  A
possible use case would be as a "spatial logger" - a client process
could log spatial data generated during the course of execution which
would be immediately viewable in the spatial viewer. The neat thing is
that this would work during a debug session, so the developer could get
a good view of data being processed during the run.

For those not familiar with it, RMI makes it almost trivially easy to
expose a service endpoint and communicate with it from other Java
processes. It would be fairly simple to expose a service that allowed
clients to create layers, add features to layers, etc.  Really the
service could expose almost anything that can be manipulated in JUMP).
It would thus enable a sort of "remote plugin" facility.  I also
envision a very simple client API that hid the (fairly trivial) aspects
of connecting to an RMI service.

This may be a solution in search of a problem - but RMI is so powerful
it seems like there must be some applications for it.

Has anyone played around with exposing an RMI service from JUMP?

--
Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect