Hi Michaël and Martin,

  Thanks for confirming that this is a valid shape analysis technique.  The
great thing about this list is getting instant access to a large depth and
breadth of algorithmic knowledge.

  My current requirement is to sort a list of CAD figures into either
linestring or polygon shapefiles.  (BTW, I'm not doing this in JUMP at the
present time, but in an external program, so I apologize for the off-topic
post.)  The CAD figures are not composed of lines, thank goodness, so a
graph analysis is not necessary.

  Without applying some kind of algorithm, the only available technique is
to check to see if the figure is closed.  This caused a problem with utility
loops  (i.e. water lines) showing up as polygons.  Putting in an area
threshold check partially solved that problem (utility loops are large), but
caused large pavement polygons to show up as linestrings.  I'm betting on
the fact that pavement polygons tend to be long and thin, and utility loops
tend to be more circular, although this has yet to be conclusively
demonstrated.  However, the technique doesn't have to be fool-proof to save
time.  It just has to be right about 80% of the time.

regards,

Larry