Hi all,
few considerations

>   1) It took me some times to understand the differences with
> existing tools like extract points

That's why I think that it should be better into Edit menu on toolbar. Anyhow
the LayerContext menu will be more acxtractive

> 2) If no feature is selected, the tool converts the whole layer

 It should be limited only to selected features. Tools>Edit Geometries>convert
tools work on the whole layer

More general I understand in OpenJUMP that Menubar> Edit tools affects only
selected features while Menubar>Tools>Edit Geometry tools work on the entire
layer