It looks like there is some interest and opportunity for collaboration
with the GeoTools team on FGDB support. You can see the thread I
started on their development mailing list here:

http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/FGDB-Support-in-GeoTools-td6662165.html

I'm already way over committed, so I can't take the lead on this
effort, but I hope we can work together with the GeoTools people if
there is a desire and resources for work on a FGDB library.

Landon