Hi Matthias,
One of the problem with Ubuntu is that some OS keyboard shortcuts interfere
with OJ keyboard shortcuts. The main one is shift+alt+drag (drag window under
Ubuntu and pan under OJ). It is of coarse possible to deactivate Ubuntu
keyboard one, but this is more that I can ask to my students (those who using
Ubuntu).
That's why I am interesting to an alternative to keyboard shortcuts. Note that
zoom tools become extremely important during drawing process (otherway all zoom
tools on toolbar are enough).

One way was to adopt on left-click menu some zoom tools (zoom in, out and
center zoom), Michael moved all these tools under a submenu. I am going to
ask/made a modification to have all these zoom tools in a more easy position
(1st level leftclick menu), to make some small modifications to constrained
tools, etc... but this is another discussion: I have to open a different post
for it

Another idea is  to adopt Kosmo Mouse wheel zoom action to openjump. I was
going to check if this is possible with few modifications to Oj core.

Then there is your project. I wonder if your zoom wheel is able to zoom out
too. And if it is possible to use it when a drawing tool is active (for
instance draw linestring tool).
regards and thanks for the answers

Peppe