 Da: Michaël Michaud <michael.mich...@free.fr>
A: jump-pilot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Inviato: Domenica 1 Gennaio 2012 22:47
Oggetto: Re: [JPP-Devel] OpenJUMP & OpenJDK

Hi,
> generally openjdk should do the trick. however, if the osgeo folks want to be
> sure they should include the "original" jvm.
I think there is a change in the Oracle JVM licence which is the reason
why osgeo people want to migrate to OpenJDK
Here is what Cameron Shorter, the project leader, says :

"As per email thread below, the OSGeo-Live project is looking for
guidance on what we should do regarding a migration to OpenJDK.

The brief facts:
* Sun Java is not allowed to be packaged into future distributions (like
ubuntu, debian, or OSGeo-Live). Instead, users are expected to download
SunJava from Sun.
* SunJava 7 will be based upon OpenJDK.
* OpenJDK is reportedly much better than previous OpenJDK versions.

For OSGeo-Live:
* OSGeo-Live v5.5 (released in March 2012) will be based upon the older
Xubuntu 10.04, so at a pinch, we can still use Sun java, (but won't be
able to accept security updates). For OSGeo-Live v6.0 (Sept 2012), we
intend to use Xubuntu 12.04, and hence will only be able to use OpenJDK.
* OSGeo-Live is space limited, and we strongly prefer to only include
one flavour of java, otherwise we need to remove some of our windows
installers.

So bottom line is that java applications which wish to be included in
Linux distributions will need to support OpenJDK soon, and this is
coming to a head as we package OSGeo-Live.

Questions for Geotools developers:
1. Do geotools based applications work on OpenJDK now?
2. Is it possible to migrate geotools based applications to OpenJDK?
3. Can such migration happen before Feb 2012 (for OSGeo-Live 5.5)?

We can help with testing packaged applications, but are looking for
guidance from projects on where we should be focusing our energy."