Hi,
> There are two tools in the right click menu which seem to almost the same
> thing. Clone items does not ask anything, it just clones. Are there other
> meaningful differences.
The other difference is that the object remains selected* and the move
feature action is activated so that it is very easy to move the feature.

Note : The "source" feature is selected and the cloned one is not. You
realize this if you clone it in another layer and move it. I think this
should be changed.
> I notices that if I have selected items from many layers the Clone items is
> cloning them all into one of the selected layers. It seems to be usually the
> layer that is highest on the layer legend but not always. Because the
> behaviour is not easy to predict, would it be better to make this tool usable
> only if user has exactly one editable layer selected?
The target layer is probably predictable, but I agree thet would be more
safe to only copy if one editable layer is selected.
I would not be surprised that your remark apply to other plugins.

Would you write a feature request in case we can not fix that very quicly ?

Michaël