Hi all,

In the next months I am going to work around two modifications on OpenJUMP
lower panel which I tested with external plugin.

1)
 the first one is modified version of CoordinateListMetrics.java class.
This class is activated by MultiClickTool class and displays ,on message
 panel, lenght, angle (between three adjacent vertices) and area while
drawing.
1a - As you can see on the screenshot - 1, the modified
class shows: Angle (between two adjacent lines), Azimuth, Total Length
(length between the two last vertices) and Area.
It also displays the units (degrees for angles and meter/sqr meter for
length/area).
1b
 - A future development of this class will use the option panel to
change Map Units and Measure Units to allows Users to switch between
metric units to other one (feet, surveyor feet or mile). I am
 still study this second part of the project.

2) The second project is to add a scale on the lower panel (see also screenshot
- 2). I found two ways to do it:

2a - a "quick a durty way".
I basically add this code:
public void mouseMoved(MouseEvent e) {
        mouseLocationChanged(e);

 getWorkbench().getFrame().setTimeMessage("1:" + (int)
Math.floor(ScreenScale.getHorizontalMapScale(panel.getViewport())));
    }
to   plugin which are involved by the cursor: I successfully tested with
MultiClickTool.class and ZoomTool.class.
Moving the cursor users have always the view of the scale on TimePanel.
 am sure that this method  works modifying general classes like
AbstractCursorTool and AbstractZoomTool - In these
 days I plan to do a test about. The negative effects is that, until
users don't move cursor on the view, the changing scale is not activated

2b-
 a more "sophisticated way". I also inspected WorkbenchFrame class and
added a new JPanel "scaleLabel" to the left side of coordinateLabel
panel. The idea is to use this new bottom panel for the scale and active
 it by default (like coordfinateLabel). This way seems to me more
reasonable but really more further to realize.

Right now I
can do the modification 1a). But before doing this I like to have the
opinion of the other developers about all points.

Regards

Giuseppe

BTW,
 exploring WorkbenchFrame class I realize the presence of other JPanels
like wfsLabel and wmsLabel  - which is then usages of these panels"