On 14.02.2012 23:36, Michaël Michaud wrote:
> Hi Landon,
>
> Many things in your mail.

nearly tl;dr ;)

> I remember that OpenJUMP name came after JPP was created.
> I've sometimes wondered if it wouldn't be necessary to create the
> OpenJUMP project on sourceforge or on other forges, because
> it would be confusing if someone else decided to create an
> OpenJUMP project now...

sf.net for sure is product centric... but i won't change a running system until
there is need. if somebody opens an(other) openjump project we have to deal
with it anyway, if on sf.net or somewhere else :)

> About copyright, I agree that the code base does not follow clear
> rules and it would need a serious clean up, but I can't see clearly
> what the real problem is and why we should have to waive our
> copyright to an organization to be serious.

me neither, all modifications to oj's java is based on gpl code and hence
automatically copyleft. we should rather cleanup the gpl header and enforce
it's usage especially for new files, so it is clear the respective copyright
holder makes it copyleft by contributing.

> I'm pretty attached to copyright, because I feel like having my
> name associated with the code I wrote is about the only way to
> get a little recognition for the work in the long run.

theoretically every author would have to be mentioned. as this is practically
an issue especially with old core code i'd vote to add author tags to javadoc
method comments and such but keep the header clean.

for initially created classes and code i am fine with a author's note in or
below the header.

> Morover, I think OpenJUMP is still very small to spend time in
> administration tasks. But it can change quickly. So, let's see
> what will happen this year.

Exactly my point, lot's of bugs and featreqs laying around unresponded because
a fistful of volunteers is not enough.

> And let's hear Stefan, Ede and other members.
> As far as licensing is concerned, I'm afraid my 2 cents is only 1 cent.

So in conclusion:
- we should streamline the header (i'd like to make it smaller if possible)
- add it to _all_ files e.g. start scripts (or at least a note regarding
licensing)
- negotiate a way how authors tag their code, if they want to

Everything else is beyond our current scope i think. As promising the idea of
JPP as an umbrella like Apache Project sounds, i really don't see our group in
any shape near that. I don't have objections to the name though, if we decide
to keep calling us like that and the product OpenJUMP that's fine with me.

..ede