On 21.02.2012 02:47, Stefan Steiniger wrote:
> btw... I forgot:
>
> "eye candy" - yes agreed, and I may add something about the importance
> of eye candy

never said eye candy is unimportant. it is a non functional component which is
limited to a visual function.

> that was in Apples marketing strategy (its from the Steve
> Jobs Bio - yes I know...):

that's the guy who reinvented the golden cage, right? sigh;)

> “People DO judge a book by its cover, We may have the best product, the
> highest quality, the most useful software etc.; if we present them in a
> slipshod manner, they will be perceived as slipshod; if we present them
> in a creative, professional manner, we will impute the desired qualities.””

you could have come up with a more /authoritative/ quote here, but of course
this is correct. sadly i don't see the designs you submitted so far
outperforming the first draft, from a design standpoint. they lack the style
and balance in terms of color and motive of it.

> PS: As I am working on a "Public Participation web site" my current read
> is Rubin and Chisnell (2008) "Handbook of Usability Testing: How to
> plan, design and conduct effective tests" - besides other literature. So

this is a plain graphic design issue here, the dialog would be usability wise
the same without it. probably not so appealing but please don't mix up two
sports here, even if they are played in the same stadium.

> my focus has changed a bit from an OJ tutorial and help to a general
> thinking about what is important for software aside from functionality.
> Hence, my efforts with that installer image.

i support that fully. my studies in applied computer science taught me to put
usability first. or better, what's the use if it is unusable. a good product is
actually intuitively usable because it explains itself because it uses well
known basic concepts that guide the user through it's handling.

still, we have no usability problem here... ede